Some information about lily plant
Lily are most beautiful and famous flower. This is a flowering plant that comes in the family Liliaceae. There are 100 types of lilies that can be established mostly in the northern area (Europe, Asia and North America). Most species grow in temperate and tropical areas. Lily usually inhabits forests, grasslands, marshes and mountains. Even some of the small variety would fit perfectly in an alpine rock garden.
Size of lily plant is depends of the species .in can grow 2 to 6 feet height. Lily has beautiful, large flower that can be white, yellow, orange, red, purple or pink in color. Flower can be covered with different types of freckles. Lily is permanent plant which means that it can live more than 2 years in the wild.
Lily plant types and meaning
Asiatic lilies are first flowers to bloom each spring, usually in late May. Their flowers face out or up and grow in a variety of colors and are often “freckled” with a darker color. Asiatic lilies are hybrids. The durable plants grow well in most soil types as long as it drains well. They multiply quickly, and range in height from 2 to 5 feet. A downside of Asiatic lilies is that their flowers are generally unscented. Varieties include the dwarf “Golden Pixie,” the blush-colored “Alpenglow” and “Shirley,” a white and pink lily that can grow 4 feet tall.
Oriental lilies range from 18 inches to 6 feet tall, with heights of 3 to 5 feet being typical. Their large, flashy flowers are usually white, pink or crimson, often with darker spots or edges in contrasting colors, and produce a heady fragrance. They bloom as Asiatic lilies are fading. Oriental lilies prefer rich, acidic, well-draining soil, plenty of mulch and protection from strong sun and wind. Varieties include the dark-crimson-and-white “Black Beauty,” the rose-pink “Mona Lisa” and the solid white “Casa Blanca.”
The huge trumpet lily can reach 6 to 8 feet tall and blooms around the same time as Oriental lilies, generally midsummer. Their large, trumpet-shaped flowers are usually in shades of white, pink, apricot, gold and yellow; hybridization with other lily types, such as Oriental and Asiatic, produces more color variety. Trumpet lilies prefer cooler weather and do better in northern areas with mild summers. Because of their height, they require staking and protection from strong wind.
Uses of lily plant
The Chinese they are used dried lily bulbs as a medicine. In their tradition, it could cure sore throats, build the lungs stronger, help address heart problems and improve kidney functions. Some would use lily bulbs to help them relax and improve sleep.
• In Europe they have used lily bulbs for medicinal purposes like fevers, cleaning wounds and sores.
• There are some countries that grow lilies in pots and are used as a veranda plant.
• The Easter lily is indispensable in Easter trade and are considered to be important cut flowers.
• In the Philippines, water lilies or water hyacinth and bamboos are used to clean polluted rivers. It is used as a biological filter helping the water get cleaned of pollution and heavy metals. Other Southeast Asian countries have been using this, prior to the Philippines.
• If you have a pond with fishes in it, then try adding some water lilies. They provide a habitat for micro-organisms that fishes feed .If You doing this , your fish would not require too much artificial food.
Lilies are not just flowers meant for decoration, but they play an significant role in other country’s traditions. It just makes the flower and the plant more valuable.
Other Uses of Lilies
- The oil extracted from lilies has remedial and softening properties. Especially, when the lily fragrance oil is mixed with that of calendula, it works brilliantly for very sensitive skin.
- Lily oils can be used for massage, in a bath, after a bath, for babies, dry cuticles and elbows, as a facial moisturizer, under-eye oil and hot-oil treatment.